Sunday, November 7, 2010

Where Has the Time Gone!?

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” John Lennon

This year started with the best of intentions. Projects were going to be finished, space was going to be cleared out, I had commissioned quilts to design and complete, …I had some major GOALS! I was going to beat my personal best in completions! Yesss! You know where this is going. Things happened. Plans changed.


“There is never enough time to do everything, but there is always enough time to do the most important thing.” Brian Tracy

My mom was very sick. My dad developed new health problems. Health situations with my parents became my priority.
Packed up the dogs and off we went to Tennessee. Taking care of my parents and their house became my full time job. Eventually, my mom got lots better and my dad learned what he is supposed to do and not do. Two months later I returned to Texas.

“Change is constant.” our Army family motto by way of a Greek philosopher

A new job was awaiting me. A job that I had started training on for one day before I needed to be in Tennessee, that had been held for me while I was away. A job that was supposed to be a little one day a week, help support my quilting habit job. A job that had suddenly morphed into an every day, more than I had planned for job, a job that for a variety of reasons I discovered was not for me. Six weeks later, six weeks further behind on my other commitments, I quit the job.

“Good order is the foundation of all good things.” Edmund Burke

All the time away was reflected in my house. While my husband had done a good job of maintaining the absolute essentials during my time in Tennessee, and helping out tremendously while I was working, my house was not the way I liked it. I love a clean house; I don’t always like cleaning it. But I couldn’t get past it. A fall cleaning was in order to put my mind in better order! After much scrubbing, reorganizing, and multiple trips to Goodwill, I felt better. Finally, I could get back to my sewing room where my many projects were stalled. I finished one quilt and started on the next one. Made great headway on it and then needed to go back to Tennessee for 3 weeks. My dad’s definition of doctor’s orders must be doctor’s suggestions. Things were not bad, but my assistance eased some of their stress.


"Much of the stress that people feel doesn't come from having too much to do. It comes from not finishing what they've started."
-David Allen

Back home once again, time seemed to be moving at much faster pace! Nothing like looking at the calendar to instill a sense of panic. Nothing like panic to get you moving! A quilting marathon began and another quilt was finished. Not quite the goal I had in mind at the beginning of the year, but an achievement I am pleased with.


Better late than never!

I like the idea of the 13 month calendars. When I first saw them, my reaction was “Whaaat?” And then “Ohhhh!” It lets you have more time to get the new year’s calendar (maybe even get it on sale!), it lets you plan appointments way ahead, and sometimes it gives you an extra pretty picture to look at!  So I’m carrying over some of this year’s goals to next year’s goals. I’m just getting an earlier start! What are they? The same as this year’s goals, with a few new ones thrown in …. retirement and moving!

LaDonna

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...