Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Just a Little Bit More!

On Sunday, I spent the afternoon on the borders of the pinwheel quilt.  On the inner border, I marked my spacing lines for the feathers to be an inch apart and two inches long.  I like to mark to ensure my spacing is accurate especially for the corners and wavy spines to work out right. 

Here are the feathers in the corner and you can see where I also marked the outer border. 

Tony took a picture of me sewing...it looks like I take my quilting seriously!  I like quilting, really, I do!  My gloves look so dirty!  I prewash my fabrics, but the dye still gets on the sticky part of the gloves.  I wash the gloves between quilts using every kind of stain remover I have, even a little bleach, but I can't get all the stains out.  If any of you have a solution, please let me know! 

Yesterday, I spent all day, in between laundry, chatting, computer time, etc... quilting the last of the quilt.  And the binding is on!  Yeah!  Just have to trim the excess batting and backing and plug in some movies for all that handsewing!  I'm so glad it is nearly finished!  After all that sewing yesterday, my ears were ringing from the hum of my sewing machine all day and, would you believe it, my foot was sore from the constant angle on the pedal!  But it is done!

I love the connections we have with our regular readers, now friends!  I want to thank everyone for all the suggestions you gave to Diana! That's the way quilters are...we want to help our sister quilters any way we can! Thanks again!

LaDonna

22 comments:

  1. It sure does feel good to have something finished at the end of a day doesn't it? I wish I was brave enough to do a little more free motion quilting on my home machine. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always just use BLACK gloves. That way the stains won't show!
    The quilt really turned out nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors! The quilting looks great. I can see why you like the feathers so much. And your "pose".....it kinda looks familiar! I hope to "tackle" my problem quilt tomorrow. We'll see.

    Love,
    ~Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good pictures! The quilt is beautiful. The feathers were a good idea. So much concentration is showing in your face. I can almost see you listening to your machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you recommend using gloves? I have done some free motion squiggles on my quilts, and right now I'm venturing to do leaves (quite poorly, really, but it's my first try). What kind of gloves are they? You look great at your machine!!! Usually I am in my pajamas:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I highly recommend gloves! I don't quilt without them! These are Machingers, but really any glove with sticky dots, like gardening gloves, will work too!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't machine quilt without my gloves. I'm practicing feathers and hope to be half as good as you. Love the quilt. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful free motion quilting, your a pro. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt looks awesome. You did a great job. Have you tried soaking your gloves in oxyclean or Biz overnight?
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming from a person that doesn't quilt at all... Why do you have to wear gloves?

    Looks great Lulu! Mom, don't be too hard on yourself! I looks great! Matilda is just a judgmental kitty. LOL! She is a queen you know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've got a pair of cheap gardening gloves and they work for me! love the colors on your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Great pictures and great quilting. Gives me something to aim for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, beautiful job. So envious of your FMQ skills!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Crystal, my favorite niece-in-law! We could teach you to quilt! The gloves help us move the fabric around under the needle by giving us a grip. Without the gloves, our hands end up slipping on the fabric and we can't control it. They look funny, don't they?!

    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello my favorite daughter-in-law!!! Yes, we know that Mailda is rather judgmental but in this case...she is correct! As far as being too hard on myself...well....you live with someone that inherited that trait also. We do tend to expect a lot from ourselves. It runs in the family!! Tell my son hello for me and give him a big hug. Love you!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt looks great...I too use the white gloves...I just look at the stains as my quilting badge of honor. What a story your gloves could tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work. Hopefully I will get back to my blog soon. I have pictures of my newest baby quilt but have not uploaded them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, you do look all hardcore sewing your quilt...but you look like your in a very happy point of concentration :)

    Your quilt looks lovely btw :)

    xx Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous quilting, LaDonna! Try as I might to keep my shoulders down and back as I FMQ they always end up around my ears. Blah! Then my arms start to hurt. Do you ever have that problem? I love it that your family is so interested in your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am admiring your quilting.
    Do you drop the feed dogs when quilting? It almost looks like you are using a walking foot. What do you
    mark your quilt with? I have trouble with using chalk. I would love to have any help you can offer. I usually just do stipple or in the ditch and that gets boring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. For Idaho Quilter: Since you don't have an email that I can reply to, I'll answer your questions here. For free motion quilting, yes, I drop the feed dogs and do not use a walking foot. I do use the walking foot when I quilt in the ditch or for grid lines. I love the Sewline ceramic marking pencils. They come in different colors and wash out easily. They do recommend testing on your fabric first of course. Hope this helps!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks I will look for the Sewline pencil.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...