Thursday, August 9, 2012

Quilt As You Go, Part 2

I'm not liking this very much.  This is probably the worst quilting I have done in long time.  All that bias is not friends with my machine quilting.  There's not a lot to hold on to and there's too much give.  For something that was supposed to be a quick and fun method, it sure is causing me some frustration.  But, since I like to win, I'm going to try another line of attack.  Despite the name, Quilt As You Go, I'm thinking I'll make the blocks, put them together, and then do an overall quilting design, maybe a wavy grid.  Not only will that give me more to hold to, but sewing across all that bias should stabilize it better.  And, I'm thinking baby quilt...no way do I want to do a big quilt like this! 

On a positive note, I did make some smaller squares to go with the bigger squares.  Maybe as a sashing?  Or just mixed in somehow?  Don't know yet.  My small squares are made with 2 7/8" cut squares.  Really, it should be closer to 2 13/16" but with all that bias, who cares?!

Kudos to all of you who have made beautiful quilts with this method!  I applaud your patience and skill!

I'll keep you posted as to how this all turns out.

LaDonna

8 comments:

  1. Oops, I must have missed step one, will go back and check. Seems as though we are seeing a lot of quilts on the net lately made with the hour glass block. Will check your method out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it: "I'm thinking I'll make the blocks, put them together, and then do an overall quilting design...." That's exactly how I'd solve it. And baby quilt is a great way to resolve finishing quickly. Keep us posted on how it works out. I'm betting it will be much easier your way.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad it's frustrating you. I can imagine the quilting problem you speak of. Probably easier if there were a few blocks sewn together so there's more to hold onto?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to persevere - this is way out of my comfort zone, I avoid bias edges whenever I can and to have all four in each block - wow! I do lots of things with five inch squares because for years that was "the" way to buy fabric, but will pass on this one! I look forward to seeing your progress. Regards June

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, I'm not so good at quilt as you go either- I think it has more to do with a lack of patience as I get older though, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the colors! I bet by the time you are finished with the quilt you will like it! Have a great weekend! Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep at it, lady! It's gonna end up being really pretty:)

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am making this quilt. I used larger squares that I had gotten from an estate sale. My finished square is 7 inches. I am thinking of stitch in the ditch or maybe flowers in the center. So far it is going ok. This is my first attempt at quilt as you go and I do like it so far.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...