Monday, July 11, 2011

January 17, 1955

Yep, that's the date my "new" Singer Featherweight was born!  One of 50,000!  I was working at the shop (the owner says I'm the shop's "call girl", since I'm the one who gets called in when someone can't work!) when a lady brought it in.  All I saw as they were discussing it was the case.  So many of the cases of these machines are in bad shape with the handles broken and the case itself damaged and smelly.  This case looked brand new!  After a while, when I had a chance, I asked if that was a featherweight that had been brought in and was told yes.  She traded it in on a new machine.  I asked how much she was going to sell it for, she told me the price, and I said I wanted to look at it.  She got it out of the case, hooked it up, and started sewing.  That was all it took.  Love!  It is in perfect condition, no rust, hardly used!  I brought it home that afternoon!  It came with two boxes of feet, a buttonhole attachment, the original book, a new book, and the original cord and pedal.






So for my first project on it, I made the first block from the Farmer's Wife book.  It's been a long time since I've done any paper-piecing so it took a while and then when it was all done, I realized it was the reverse of the picture in the book!  Oh, well, I'm not doing it over.


The featherweight did an excellent job of sewing!  I'm pleased with the block even though it's wrong!

LaDonna


25 comments:

  1. What a score! She's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. coucou Ladonna

    je crois que tu as fais une bonne affaire la !!!!!!! le bloc est bien aussi ........ même à l'envers ....... rire moi aussi je fais ça ......
    bisous je vais rejoindre mon mari au Kosovo je vais voir pleins de tes compatriotes ....... je pense bien à toi
    bisous de Regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It looks like a new sewing machine. Congratulations. I know you are pleased as punch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Aren't these machines so cute!?! It's a great second machine to have because it doesn't take up much room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh LaDonna, I am so happy for you! I have my Mother's featherweight and just got a new cord for it. I am looking forward to getting it running now, that it has a safe cord.

    Happy Sewing with her!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one too and love it! It is so simple after using computerized machines. Perfect for travel and classes. I put mine in the motorhome when we head out. Sometimes I get to use it and sometimes not, but it is so small, it doesn't take up too much room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story and awesome job on the block. If you hadn't said it was backwards, no one would ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow-you've won the sewing machine lottery! Congrats on acquiring a very nice machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was your lucky day to be called into work. You will love sewing with you Featherweight. The stitich is perfect and so quiet. My Featherweight was born on Oct 14, 1953. Love her, she is such a beauty. Unfortunately I forget about her unless I am going to class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice machine. Aren't the Farmer's Wife blocks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You lucky girl!! Look at all those wonderful feet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet.... I got my first featherweight about 12 years ago and it was born right around the yours was... Maybe they are sisters. A friend of my Mom gave me one after my mom died and I was taking care of Dad. And my husband picked up a 3rd one which I will probably use for parts. They are like fabric. Ver addictive. You will love yours. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe all those feet! Very pretty machine! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new machine and I were born the same year. lol
    Enjoy! I love that block.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow amazing. When I was working in our local Bernina shop a customer bought in a featherweight to be serviced. It was in perfect order, like yours. I nearly swooned. I asked her if she would like to sell it. She said NO. Oh dear, what upset me was this lady wasn't a sewer the machine was just going to be a home decorating piece.
    Sigh
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. fantastic little machine...and pretty block too. I think I might need to start looking for one!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky girl! Well done! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I would love one of those. I have my mother's standard sized 306K Singer from 1953 that she sewed my baby clothes on. I love everything about it, the smell, the memories and how absolutely gorgeous it is with its shiny black enamel and beautiful decals. I would never sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like new! How fabulous, very like the one my grandmother had and gave away when she moved into a retirement home, (well before I realised the joy of old things...boo hoo:(

    Cheers Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lucky you! She's GORGEOUS!

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations you lucky girl! She looks like a beauty and she made a wonderful block too. Pretty and useful!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That machine is gorgeous! Lucky you! And who says that block is 'wrong'.....it's just unique! Your quilt won't be exactly like all the others out there.....we love that! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what a great find to practically fall in your lap! How lucky!!! The machine looks sleek and beautiful and the feet interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow how lucky are you. Your machine is just beautiful. Once you start to sew with it you will never turn back,
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh LaDonna! Lucky you, it's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...